A woman who claims Bill Cosby drugged and sexually assaulted her in 1986, the comedian-actor sued NBCUniversal and other companies on Friday (December 30) in New York, where five other women filed a similar lawsuit earlier this month.
Stacey Pinkerton says she was a 21-year-old flight attendant and model that year when she claims Cosby drugged her at a restaurant in Illinois and took her back to a hotel room in Chicago. The lawsuit alleges that Cosby “engaged in forced sexual intercourse” with her while she was incapacitated from the drugs.
The trial comes more than a year after Cosby left prison after his 2018 sexual assault conviction in Pennsylvania was overturned. Earlier this year, a jury was in Los Angeles awarded $500,000 to a woman who said Cosby sexually abused her at the Playboy Mansion when she was a teenager in 1975.
Pinkerton says the alleged assault came after she met Cosby in New York and he promised to help her career. She says she had a role in an episode of The Cosby Show on NBC, but did not appear in the final edit.
Months after the alleged assault, Pinkerton said Cosby invited her to his show at a Chicago theater, where she claims he forcefully kissed and touched her.
“Cosby engaged in the same or similar pattern of conduct with his victims,” Pinkerton’s lawsuit states, “including expressing an interest in advancing their careers and giving them roles on The Cosby Showusing The Cosby Show and its filming locations as a means of accessing, isolating, sexually harassing and sexually assaulting women, using drugs to incapacitate his victims, and coercing them into sexual acts without their consent.”
The lawsuit alleges that NBC, Kaufman Astoria Studios and Carsey-Werner Television should have known Cosby was a danger to women and failed to protect Pinkerton from him.
Cosby spokesman Andrew Wyatt said Friday night that Cosby “continues to vehemently deny all allegations against him and looks forward to defending himself in court.”
“As we have always said, and now America can see, this is not about justice for victims of alleged sexual assault, it is ALL ABOUT MONEY,” Wyatt wrote in an email to Associated Press. “We believe that the courts, as well as the court of public opinion, will follow the rules of law and exonerate Mr. Cosby on these alleged charges.”
Representatives for NBCUniversal, Kaufman Astoria Studios and Carsey-Werner Television did not immediately respond to requests for comment Friday night. All three companies were involved in the production of The Cosby ShowPinkerton’s lawsuit said.
The lawsuits by Pinkerton and the five other women were filed during New York’s one-year window for adults to file sexual abuse complaints for allegations that fell outside the statute of limitations for suing.
Cosby served nearly three years in prison before the Pennsylvania Supreme Court overturned his conviction, finding that he only gave incriminating testimony about the encounter after believing he had immunity from prosecution. The trial judge and an appeals court had found no evidence of such immunity.
Seven other accusers received a settlement from Cosby’s insurance companies in the wake of the Pennsylvania verdict over a defamation case they had filed in Massachusetts. Their lawsuit said Cosby and his agents held them in contempt by denying their allegations of abuse.