TWICE tops Billboard’s album sales chart with ‘Between 1&2’

TWICE scores his second No. 1 on Billboard‘s Top album sales chart (dated Sept. 10) as Between 1&2: 11th mini album debuts at the top. The set comes in with a career-high 94,000 copies sold in the US in the week ending September. 1, according to Luminate. This total also marks the fifth biggest sales week for any album in 2022.

Explore

See the latest videos, charts and news

See the latest videos, charts and news

The South Korean group previously hit No. 1 with Taste of Love: The 10th Mini Album in 2021.

Like many K-pop releases, the cd configuration of Between 1 and 2 were issued in collectible deluxe packs (17 in total, including versions sold exclusively through Target, Barnes & Noble, and the group’s official webshop), each with a standard set of items and randomized elements (such as photo cards, posters, and stickers); 96.5% of the album’s first week sales were on CD. The other 3.5% were sales of digital albums (just over 3,000). The set was not released in any other physical format, such as vinyl or cassette.

Also in the top 10 on the new Top Album Sales chart: Kendrick Lamar‘s Sir. Moral & The Big Steppers and Silk Sonic’s An evening with Silk Sonic both re-entering the chart (at Nos. 2 and 3) following their vinyl releases (with the latter setting a new modern vinyl sales record for an R&B album); Mouse‘s new album The Will of the People arches at No. 4, Casting of crownsHealer hits the top five for the first time (re-entering the chart at No. 5) following its deluxe reissue with additional tracks; and DJ Khaledis star-studded God did arches at No. 6.

Billboard‘s Top album sales ranks the week’s best-selling albums based on traditional album sales only. The history of the chart dates back to May 25, 1991, the first week Billboard began tabulating charts with electronically monitored piece count information from SoundScan, now Luminate. Pure album sales were the only metric used by Billboard 200 album chart through the list dated dec. 6, 2014, after which that chart switched to a method that mixes album sales with track-equivalent album units and streaming-equivalent album units. The new Sept. 10, 2022 dated chart will be published in full at Billboard‘s website on Wednesday, Sept. 7 (one day later than usual, due to the Labor Day holiday in the US on Sept. 5). For all chart news, follow @billboard and @billboardcharts on both Twitter and Instagram.

Between 1 and 2the launch of 94,000 sold is the fifth biggest sales week of any album in 2022, after the debut pictures of Harry StylesHarry’s house (330,000), BTSProof (266,000), Beyonce‘s Renaissance (190,000) and Stray childrenStray Kids Mini Album: Extraordinary (103,000).

Kendrick Lamar’s Sir. Moral & The Big Steppers re-enters Top Album Sales at No. 2 with 38,000 copies sold (up 2,408%), following its vinyl release in August. 26. Of that sales total, vinyl sales make up nearly 36,000 – Lamar’s best sales week ever on vinyl. (It debuts at No. 2 on Vinyl albums chart, which ranks the week’s best-selling vinyl titles.)

No. 2 rank is a new high for the album, which previously debuted and peaked at No. 3 on the May 28 chart from digital downloads and CD sales only. Plus, the 38,000 copies sold marks the album’s best sales week to date, surpassing its launch mark of 35,000.

Sir. Moral & The Big Steppers also the third biggest sales week for a rap album on vinyl since Luminate began tracking sales in 1991. The only bigger weeks were logged by opening frames of Tyler, the creator‘s Call me if you get lost (50,000; chart dated April 30) and Kid Cudi‘s Man on the Moon III: The Chosen (42,000; chart dated January 1). (Rap albums are defined as those that have hits Billboard‘s Top rap album diagram.)

Like Sir. Moralityboth Call me and Man on the Moon III saw their vinyl releases arrive after the album initially bowed via streamers and through other retail-available formats. Sir. Morality was released to streamers and on CD and digital download on May 13 – three months before the vinyl release. Both Call me and Man on the Moon III hit vinyl nearly a year after their first releases.

Silk Sonic also climbs back into Top Album Sales following a delayed vinyl release by the duo Bruno Mars and Anderson .Paak sees its An evening with Silk Sonic re-enter at No. 3 with 38,000 sold (up 4,595%). Its vinyl dropped in August. 26 – nine months after the album’s first streaming and retail release (on download and CD).

The album’s 38,000 sold in the week ending September. 1 marks the album’s second-biggest sales week to date, bested only by its opening week of 42,000 (on digital download and CD, chart dated November 27, 2021).

During the week ending Sept. 1, An evening with Silk Sonic sold 37,000 copies on vinyl – prompting its debut at No. 1 on the Vinyl Albums chart. Moreover, An evening with Silk Sonic scores the biggest sales week for an R&B album on vinyl since Luminate began tracking sales in 1991. The previous biggest week for an R&B set on wax was earned by the vinyl debut of The Weeknd‘s Dawn FM earlier this year. (R&B albums are defined as those that have hit Billboard‘s Top R&B albums diagram.)

Muse’s new album The Will of the People debuts at No. 4 on Top Album Sales with 20,000 copies sold. It is the sixth top 10 charting effort for the band. Over on the Vinyl Albums chart, the set launches at No. 3 with 8,000 sold – the act’s best sales week on vinyl since Luminate began tracking data in 1991.

Casting Crowns’ Healer charging back up on Top Album Sales and re-entering the chart at No. 5 with 10,000 sold (up 3,335%) after the album was reissued with seven extra tracks. It’s a new chart topper and sales high for the album, which had previously debuted and peaked at No. 9 with 7,000 sold on Jan. 29-dated chart. The deluxe album’s CD sales were boosted by its availability in a signed edition on the Act’s official webshop, selling for as low as $5.

DJ Khaled’s new guest-packed God did enters Top Album Sales at No. 6 with 10,000 sold – mainly from digital downloads. (88% of first-week sales were digital album sales; the remaining 12% include CD sales.) God did is Khaled’s 11th top 10 on Top Album Sales. His first came a little more than 15 years ago, with We the best (debuting and peaking at No. 8 on the chart as of June 30, 2007).

THE ENHYPEformer manager Manifesto: Day 1 falls 6-7 on Top Album Sales with 8,000 sold (down 22%) and Harry Styles‘ top-top Harry’s house drop 7-8 by almost 8,000 (down 20%).

Five Finger Death Punch‘s AfterLife falls 2-9 in its second week with 6,000 sold (down 75%) while Madonna‘s Finally enough love falls 1-10 in his second frame with nearly 6,000 (down 81%). In the week ending Sept. 1, 1.758 million albums were sold in the US (up 1.3% from the previous week). Of this total, physical albums (CDs, vinyl LPs, cassettes, etc.) accounted for 1,382 million (up 2.5%) and digital albums 377,000 (down 3%).

669,000 CD albums were sold in the week ending September. 1 (up 5% week-over-week) and 702,000 vinyl albums sold (up 0.3%). Year-to-date sales of CD albums are DKK 22,870 million. (down 8.5% compared to the same time frame a year ago) and year-to-date vinyl album sales 25,868 million. (an increase of 0.1%).

Total year-to-date album sales total 62,884 million (down 8.1% compared to the same year-to-date time frame a year ago). Year to date, sales of physical albums are 49,085 million. (down 4%) and digital album sales totaling DKK 13,799 million. (down 20.1%).

Related Posts