According to TMZthe Canadian rapper has hired Jose Baez, the defense attorney best known for helping out Casey Anthony avoid prison and the death penalty after being accused of murdering his two-year-old daughter Caylee.
Baez’s past clients also include former NFL players Aaron Hernandezwas acquitted of double homicide in 2017 for the killings of two immigrant men, Daniel de Abreu and Safiro Furtado, in Boston five years earlier.
The addition of Baez follows the hiring of David Kenner – the experienced attorney who is famous helped Snoop Dogg beat his 1993 murder case and formerly represented Suge Knight – and Matthew Barhoma, who specializes in criminal appeals.
Tory was represented at trial by defense attorney George Mgdesyan, with whom he has since parted ways. “I don’t appeal, so we had to get someone on board to handle the appeal,” Mgdesyan explained to Rolling stones reporter Nancy Dillon of the shaking.
Kenner and Barhoma made their first court appearance as Lanez’s lawyers last Tuesday (January 10) to formalize the change to his legal team. Kenner plans to file a motion for a new trial that would throw out the rapper’s three convictions.
“I look forward to making the case for a new trial,” Kenner said at the hearing, according to the report Los Angeles Magazine. He added: “We are very confident.”
Tory Lanez (real name Daystar Peterson) was convicted of all three counts for which he was charged after a high-profile 10-day trial in Los Angeles last month.
He was found guilty of assault with a semi-automatic firearm, possession of a concealed, unregistered firearm and grossly negligent discharge of a firearm.
Jurors agreed with the prosecution’s theory that Tory fired five shots on Megan Thee stallion in a fit of rage during a drunken altercation after a party at Kylie Jenner’s house in the Hollywood Hills in July 2020, hurt her feet.
He risks a maximum of 22 years and eight months behind bars, as well as subsequent deportation to Canada. The 30-year-old was due to be sentenced on January 27, but that date has since been changed pushed back to February 28 due to review by his legal counsel.
While neither Tory Lanez nor Megan Thee Stallion has yet weighed in on the outcome of the lawsuit, Tory’s father Sonstar Peterson recently revealed that his son has “forgiven” the Houston hottie.
“This may come as a shock to many of you, but guess what? Both my son, myself and others in our family have long since decided that we will have no animosity towards Megan Pete aka Megan Thee Stallion,” he said during a 40-minute video posted on Instagram last week. “We forgave that girl a long time ago. A long time ago.”
He added: “Some will no doubt indeed question: Is he actually saying that Tory forgave Megan for everything that’s going on? Yes, we have forgiven her. But what we won’t back down from is the machine.”
Peterson – a former pastor – has made headlines in the past angrily calls the justice system “evil” and two of the prosecutors “evil” after Tory’s guilty verdict was announced, resulting in his being forcibly removed from the courtroom.
He continued his tirade outside the courthouse, directing his anger at Megan’s attorney Alex Spiro, Roc Nation COO Desiree Perez, “and the entire Roc Nation evil system, including you, JAY-Z.”