50 cents has indicated that the next project in his growing film and television empire may center around influencer-turned-con artist Ray Hushpuppi.
Following the news that Hushpuppi had been sentenced to 11 years in prison for his role in an international fraud ring, 50 Cent shared a photo of the disgraced social media star.
“For my cheaters I have to make this one, the Hushpuppy series is coming soon!” he said to the picture. “GLG GreenLightGang I don’t miss.” Check out 50 Cent’s Instagram post below.
The rise and fall of Ray Hushpuppy already sounds like something out of a movie. Born Ramon Abbas, the Nigerian native built a massive following on social media by sharing photos and videos of his lavish lifestyle.
According to BBC news, Hushpuppi’s now-deactivated Instagram account once had as many as 2.8 million followers. Authorities say his social media posts made it clear that the luxury life he bragged about online was funded by the fact that he was “one of the most prolific money launderers in the world.”
In court documents, Don Alway, assistant director of the FBI’s Los Angeles Field Office, stated that “Abbas utilized his social media platforms… to gain notoriety and to flaunt the vast wealth he acquired by conducting business email- compromise scams, online bank robberies and other cyber-enabled fraud that financially devastated scores of victims and provided aid to the North Korean regime.”
Ray Hushpuppi pleaded guilty to charges of conspiracy to commit fraud, conspiracy to engage in money laundering and aggravated identity theft after he was charged with attempting to rob a businessman of $1.1 million in 2021. The funds were to allegedly funding a school in Qatar.
He also confessed to “several other cyber and business email compromise schemes that cumulatively caused more than $24 million in losses,” the US Department of Justice revealed at the time of his indictment.
In addition to his sentence of 11 years, Ray Hushpuppi has also been ordered to pay $1,732,841 in restitution to two of his victims. He maintains that he only pocketed $300,000 from the scam he was originally indicted for.
Following the success of the fictional crime world depicted in his hit STARZ franchise, Power50 Cent has been doing true-crime-inspired content.
Despite cutting ties with STARZ in September, BMF — his second successful series for the network — is now prepping it second season. A companion project to the show, The BMF documentary: Blowing Money Fast, premiered on October 28.
Last month also saw 50 Cent’s first scripted podcast in the form of Surviving El Chapo: The Twins Who Brought Down a Drug Mister. The podcast, now streaming on all platforms, is based on the true story of Chicago-born identical twins Peter and Jay Flores, who were responsible for taking down notorious Mexican crime boss Joaquín Archivaldo Guzmán Loera, aka El Chapo.
His latest take on true crime is the docuseries Hip-hop murder which debuted on A&E on November 3rd.
In the midst of launching these three projects, 50 Cent also concluded an agreement with Lusid Media for a three-project partnership. Details of the partnership and financial figures have yet to be revealed, but the first film project will be an unscripted crime drama coming to the Peacock next year.
“I’m excited about the kind of stories we’re going to bring to life together and can’t wait for the first project to hit the Peacock next year,” said 50 Cent. “G-Unit Film & Television continues to go from strength to strength and this partnership with Lusid is another great collaboration for the team.”