UPDATE (January 9): The Society of Composers & Lyricists (SCL) announced on Monday that the composer Justin Hurwitz and director Damien Chazelle will receive the 2023 Spirit of Collaboration Award at the fourth annual SCL Prices on Feb. 15 at the Skirball Cultural Center in Los Angeles. Considered to be SCL’s most distinctive and perhaps most significant, the award is given to a composer and filmmaker who maintain a distinguished creative partnership. Hurwitz has scored each of Chazelle’s five films as a director – Guy and Madeline on a bench in the park (2009), Whiplash (2014), La La Land (2016), First man (2018), and Babylon (2022). Previous recipients of the award are Thomas Newman and Sam Mendes, Carter Burwell and the Coen brothers, and Terence Blanchard and Spike Lee.
In addition, SCL will present two 2023 Jury Awards in recognition of the increasing number of ways music is used in an audiovisual context. The jury awards, voted on by the SCL board, will be presented to the opera Omarco-composed by Michael Abels and Rhiannon Giddensand the audiovisual concert experience Women Warriors: The Voices of Change, for which Amy Andersson is musical director.
EARLIER (December 22, 2022): Less than 24 hours later Alexandre Desplat was nominated for Academy Awards for Best Original Song and best original score for his work on Guillermo Del Toro’s Pinocchiothe French composer emerges as the top nominee for 2023 SCL Awards for his work on the same film.
Desplat is nominated for Outstanding Score for a Studio Motion Picture and Outstanding Song for a Musical/Comedy for “Ciao Papa,” which he co-wrote with Del Toro and Roeban Katz.
The awards from the Society of Composers & Lyricists, now in their fourth year, will be presented in February. 15, 2023, at the Skirball Cultural Center in Los Angeles. Actor-musician Darren Criss will host.
Many of the SCL nominees were nominated for Oscars in December. 21, but some slackers got the nod here, including Michael Giacchino (nominated for scoring Batman), and Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross (nominated for co-writing the song “(You Made It Feel Like) Home” from Bones and all).
The Society of Composers & Lyricists is a leading organization for professional film, television, video game and musical theater composers and lyricists. The 77-year-old organization is focused on education and addressing the creative, technological and legal issues affecting music for visual media.
Next month, the composer and director recipients of the SCL Spirit of Collaboration Award will be announced. The SCL Awards ceremony will feature a presentation of this award and a performance.
Here are the nominees for the 2023 SCL Awards:
Outstanding score for a studio film
- Alexandre Desplat – Guillermo Del Toro’s Pinocchio
- Carter Burwell – Banshees of Inisherin
- Michael Abels – Nix
- Michael Giacchino – Batman
- John Powell – Don’t worry honey
Excellent score for an independent film
- Leo Birenberg, Zach Robinson – Weird: The Al Yankovic Story
- Sharon Farber – Brainwashed: Sex-Camera-Power
- Ryan Lott – Everything everywhere at once
- Rob Simonsen – The whale
- Mark Smythe – Torn: Pursued
Outstanding Song for a Musical/Comedy:
- Alexandre Desplat, Roeban Katz, Guillermo Del Toro – “Ciao Papa” From Guillermo Del Toro’s Pinocchio
- Khiyon Hursey, Sukari Jones, Benj Pasek, Justin Paul, Mark Sonnenblick – “Good Afternoon” From Spirited
- Danny Elfman – “Light the Match” From Central Park
- Billy Eichner, Marc Shaiman – “Love Is Not Love” From Bros
- Weird Al Yankovic – “Now You Know” from Weird: The Al Yankovic Story
Outstanding Song for a Drama/Documentary:
- Diane Warren – “Applause” From Tell it like a woman
- Taylor Swift – “Carolina” From Where the Crawdads Sing
- Lady Gaga, Bloodpop – “Hold My Hand” From Top Gun: Maverick
- Tems, Rihanna, Ludwig Göransson, Ryan Coogler – “Lift Me Up” From Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
- Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross – “(You Made It Feel Like) Home” Off Bones and all
Excellent score for television
- Nicholas Britell – Andor
- Siddhartha Khosla – Only murder in the building
- Bear McCreary – The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power
- Theodore Shapiro – Resignation
- Cristobal Tapia De Veer – The white lotus
Outstanding score for interactive media
- Nainita Desai – Immortality
- Stephanie Economou – Assassin’s Creed Valhalla: Dawn of Ragnarök
- Bear McCreary – God of War Ragnarök
- Winifred Phillips – Jurassic World Primal Ops
- Christopher Williams – Cat thief
The David Raksin Prize for New Talents
- Dara Taylor – The invitation
- Anna Drubich – Barbarian
- DeAndre James Allen-Toole – God’s country
- Esin Aydingoz – Simchas and Sorrows
- Nami Melumad – Star Trek: Strange New Worlds