Criterion and Pixar are collaborating for the first time later this year on the iconic animated film Wall E now ready to join the prestigious Criterion Collection.
The cooperation will see Wall E get its own 4K UHD and Blu-ray special release on November 22, 2022, complete with a 4K digital master approved by director Andrew Stanton. As with other Criterion 4K releases, Wall E will also come packaged with two Blu-rays of the film and a number of special features including:
- Two audio commentaries: one with Stanton and the other character supervisor Bill Wise, co-producer Lindsey Collins, story artist Derek Thompson and lead animator Angus MacLane
- New programs on Stanton’s cinematic influences and production designer Ralph Eggleston’s color scripts
- Tour of the Pixar Living Archive with Stanton
- Go behind the scenes of the making of the film, including segments from early animation reels
- The Pixar Story (2007), a documentary by Leslie Iwerks
- More than a dozen documentaries exploring the film’s production and robots
- Anatomy of a Scene: The Plant, a masterclass with Stanton
- Wall-E: A to Z, a new program with Stanton and co-writer Jim Reardon
- Deleted scenes with commentary by Stanton
- A story (1987), a student film by Stanton
- Burn(2008), a short film by MacLane
— Criterion Collection (@Criterion) 8 September 2022
While the Criterion Collection houses a few animated films, fans have been calling for more animated films to join the list of other film classics. Originally published in 2008, Wall E quickly became a huge hit for Pixar, winning the 2008 Academy Award for Best Animated Feature. It is considered by many to be one of the best films of 2008 and one of the best animated films of all time, with the film even achieving the top spot on Time Magazine’s list of top films of the 2000s.
The Criterion Collection version of the film is up for grabs pre-order now ahead of release in November. If you feel like watching the classic film again, it is also available on Disney’s streaming service Disney+ in the standard version.