One afternoon last year I was minding my own business when I somehow stumbled across magazine writer Hunter Harris’s weekly newsletter, Hanged up. For the next hour I tore through the archives, including one Olivia Wilde deep divea Top Gun: Maverick reviewand arguably the best opening paragraph for a newsletter. She is a pop culture genius! So I was thrilled when Hunter agreed to share 12 of her favorite things…
1. Restaurant: When the gods smile on me and I get a table at The four horsemen, it feels like getting away with murder. But in a sexy, erotic-thriller way. They don’t put the menu online (which drives me crazy since I’m always the person who has to look up the menu beforehand), but every single thing is good.
2. Activity: There is something satisfying about going for a long walk while talking on the phone with someone you love.
3. Hair products: Pattern is my favorite waxy, thick edge control. They lay baby hairs DOWN, honey; Fort Knox security levels and with minimal white residue. (If you use edge control, you know what I’m talking about.) I grew up with my mom using old toothbrushes on my edges, but included brush really makes a difference with this product specifically because you need stiff brushes to diffuse your swoops.
4. Note cards: I regret my behavior pretty much everywhere, all the time.
6. Candles: DS & Durga’s Big Sur after rain is a perfect, polite fragrance. Not too loud, not too intrusive. Breakfast Leipzig is a little higher, a little higher, with notes of tobacco and leather. All I know is that these candles found their way into my apartment and they are my favorite scents.
7. Film: It changes depending on the day, but right now I can safely say Casino. It’s a film about Vegas and the mob, two worlds that are almost hermetically sealed with their own codes and traditions, but it’s also a film about trying to fill the bottomless pit of the self – being kicked out of Eden because of your own gluttony. I love movies about male vanity and male insecurity. This one is more superficial than Goodfellasbut also more glamorous.
8. Desk Accessories: The $7 velcro cable ties on Amazon fundamentally changed my life. I have a million cords for just six devices and now I can store them all neatly in my desk drawer. No more pulling out a cord only to get to the end and realize it’s a usbc instead of micro usb. (I know the difference… yes, I’m a woman in STEM!) Also, Play dough on my workstation – perfect for fiddling with during a long meeting.
9. Body wash: Nothing makes me feel more supported than waking up and taking the hottest shower imaginable. Right now I’m using Naturium Glow Getter Multi-Oil Hydrating Body Wash. It has a mysterious consistency – an oil that somehow foams – and it’s very moisturizing. Doesn’t have a scent, but that’s kind of fine with me?
10. Hotel: I go to LA a lot for work – sometimes months at a time, sometimes weeks here and there. The Cara is the best hotel in Los Angeles. I don’t stay anywhere else when it’s a short trip. Beautiful interior, a restaurant worth eating at even if you don’t live there, and everyone is really nice and helpful.
11. Snack: Blue cheese and biscuits.
12. Celebrity crush: The attack of Austin Butler in the spring of 2022 – we will study it for generations. This man tried so hard to make me fall in love with him and I saw Elvis and it worked! Weird movie, but great performance.