Your coffee table decor can make a statement in your living room, or quietly serve a number of functions. It’s your choice! Get all my best tips for coffee table styling in this quick and easy guide.
Today we take a look at some beautiful coffee table decor ideas to refresh your home for any season.
Learn the best ways to create a functional, beautiful display on this important piece of furniture in your living room!
As much as I enjoy the process of decorating a room, it’s not always easy! Like a bit of a minimalistic, I don’t like a lot of mess. This means that bookcases and coffee table decorating can feel too busy and complicated for me – I like things to feel easy!
This is where this simple guide comes in so handy! I share some of my best tips and tricks for simple coffee table decor to make it easier for you. Learn from my mistakes and enjoy the results in your own home!
In addition to answering a few of the most frequently asked questions, we’ve also compiled a list of a few wonderful coffee table decor items for you to purchase.
Use the Table of Contents drop-down menu to navigate this post. Don’t forget to pin it and save it for later!
Coffee table decoration
Your coffee table is the center of your living room, and even if you don’t need it to be a focal point, you want it to be functional, inviting and cosy.
Use your coffee table to set the tone for your room and show off your personal style!
Use unique items that have a decorative element along with items that serve a function. Creating different heights and adding texture to your coffee table will add dimension and depth to your living room.
This is how you get started
Consider these quick steps to get started. Your layout will be unique to your home, the shape of your table, personal style and needs, of course.
- Use a tray to collect items. It helps create a tidy, deliberate look.
- Stack of books! Use a group of books or try 3-4 stacks if your table is large.
- Use a stack topper. Try a candle, a small box, or any decorative object of interest.
- Choose a vase of fresh flowers or a green plant for an instant touch of coziness. Greenery is one of my top tips for creating one cozy home!
- A candle adds warmth.
- Coasters can be both beautiful and functional – choose carefully!
- Find inspiration photos that inspire you – check magazines, blogs and Pinterest! Look to your favorite interior designers and influencers for images to inspire you.
- Don’t overcrowd your coffee table. Leave room for the pieces to stand out.
- Create layers – stack elements or group them and space them slightly apart.
- Think in odd numbers. Ideally, three elements will create the traditional “design triangle” can help you find the perfect layout. High, medium, low is a good rule of thumb, but not a hard and fast rule!
- A monochromatic or minimal color scheme will instantly help you achieve a sophisticated look. Simplify your color palette if it feels too much.
- I love using fresh olive branches in my vases because they dry beautifully and I can leave them for a long time to come. However, don’t hesitate to use fake flowers or plants for a long-lasting pop of greenery!
Frequently asked questions
Any item that you want to place on your coffee table can go in a tray! Think stacks of beautiful glass pieces, books, decorative objects, vases and candles.
Try to stick to the design rule of “three”. Choose three objects of varying sizes that can adequately fill the room, no matter how small they are. For example, a vase of flowers, a stack of coffee table books and maybe a candle.
Decoration items for coffee table
There are so many beautiful items that can work for coffee table decor. Use this list to get off to a good start on your own!
- Coffee table books
- Decorative boxes (these are great for hiding remotes etc.)
- Flower arrangements (see the best fake flowers here and learn Where to buy flowers here.)
- Candles (Don’t forget decorative items that can work with a candle, such as pretty wick cutters or matchsticks.)
- Sculptural elements and decorative shaped objects
- Sea shells
- Magnifying glass
- Antiques or collectibles
These are a few of our favorite items that we’ve used to decorate our coffee tables.
Note: prices are subject to change.
Traditional coffee table sources
Coastal Coffee Table Sources
Let’s keep in touch! Receive exclusive content including never-before-seen photos, our favorite home decor DIYs, and more!