Eight years ago, Jennifer Bett Meyer and Melissa Duren Conner identified a gap in their field of media relations—and acted on it. In 2014, JBC was born in New York City with the mission of creating a more thoughtful approach to public relations, and today it has made good on that original vision. Now with offices in New York City and Los Angeles, JBC has since grown into the premier media relations agency for high-growth, venture-backed startups in industries spanning fashion and beauty, health and wellness, food and beverage, technology, social impact, home and more.
In April 2022, JBC added a brand new service, launching our own in-house Affiliate Marketing department. We believe a brand’s earned media should work seamlessly with their affiliate marketing to drive results, and at JBC we fully integrate our affiliate strategies with our media relations to better streamline goals.
JBC is an agency of people. We work in media relations because we are people’s people and we love working with our brand partners as they achieve your goals. We build meaningful relationships with our partners on the pillars of transparency and honesty, working to secure market share and a decisive foothold within our brands’ respective categories.
In this role, you will manage and execute the daily PR efforts as well as manage customer expectations. Senior-level staff also act as a cheerleader for the agency – suggesting new initiatives for team building, maintaining a positive work environment and mentoring junior staff – and have developed strong relationships with both media and clients.
With a roster of dynamic venture-backed brands, you’ll help create messaging and leverage media relations to create compelling narratives that support your client’s vision and mission.
The fashion director should have consumer storytelling skills. The ideal candidate also has strong relationships with fashion and retail media across national and regional (primarily New York and Los Angeles) business and consumer press.
● Developing PR strategies and dynamic pitches to meet client goals and objectives; Goes beyond traditional pitching efforts to propose interesting media activations to support brand objectives
● Strategic planning and execution of outreach plan with little or no changes from VP and/or CEO
● Ensure all teams meet client goals and objectives; keep the teams on track
● Pitching and securing feature stories, brand stories, etc. at national and regional level across online, print, broadcast and podcast media
● Updating all client material and other written material
● Preparation of press releases as required
● Monthly customer reporting
● Communicate with clients regularly via email, telephone and in person and build strong relationships with clients
● Communicates daily with high-level editors/media
● Management and guidance of staff at junior level
Position reports to: Vice President of the Fashion Division
● Bachelor’s degree
● 6+ years of PR experience with significant agency experience
● Naturally proactive, with exceptional attention to detail and meticulous organizational skills
● A people person, skilled at building and nurturing relationships, with proven experience in supportive team management and mentorship
● A strong editorial network of fashion and business editors and writers
● Skilled writer and communicator
● Ability to both balance multiple priorities and act resourcefully, all while maintaining a positive attitude
● Vaccination against COVID-19 is a requirement if employed; including a booster dose. Candidates may request an accommodation due to disability, sincerely held religious belief, or exception required by applicable law.
JBC is committed to the health, happiness and well-being of each and every one of our employees, both professionally and personally. We strive to make our workplace one where team members are not only supported through their short- and long-term career growth, but also fulfilled as people, in and out of the office.
Our benefits include, but are not limited to:
● Unlimited paid time off, including vacation + additional paid carer’s leave
● 4-day working weeks in the summer and early office closings on Fridays at 13.00 Autumn to spring
● 12 weeks paid leave to bond with a newborn, adopted or foster child, with a 6 month waiting period for full-time employees
● Including holiday calendar and a paid break in December from Christmas Eve to New Year’s Day
● Comprehensive health insurance for all employees and a 401,000 matching plan so you can invest in your future
● Internal committees that plan monthly programming around internships, team building, community service, employee recognition and more
● Monthly reimbursement for mobile phone and wifi at home
● Flexible working hours and hybrid return to the office with Fridays always remote
● No waiting period for sick leave with pay + extra paid days for Covid sick leave
● Open bereavement leave policy, including pregnancy loss
● Monthly Mental Health Days and scholarship for the whole agency
● Additional Mental Health paid time off for parents each week
● Full time
● Hybrid: 3 days remote + 2 in office in Los Angeles, California
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every single qualification. We’re dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your experience doesn’t perfectly match all the qualifications in the job description, we encourage you to email us anyway. You might just be the right candidate for this or other roles.
Jennifer Bett Communications, LLC (“JBC”) is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. JBC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age or other legally protected status.
Scroll to continue